Luigi Mangione Pleads Guilty in Federal Court — What It Means for the September Murder Trial
No deal, no concessions — Mangione stood up in a Manhattan federal courtroom and admitted shooting Brian Thompson. Why he did it with nothing in return, and what happens to the state murder trial on September 8.

For twenty months, the question hanging over the most-watched criminal case in America was whether Luigi Mangione would fight everything, everywhere. On Friday, August 14, 2026, in a Manhattan federal courtroom scheduled so abruptly it set off a week of plea-deal speculation, he answered it — by giving up the federal fight entirely, and getting nothing in return.
"I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan," Mangione told the court. "I understood that my actions would place him in fear of death or bodily injury."
An open plea — the rare kind
Mangione, 28, pleaded guilty to two counts of interstate stalking resulting in death for the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, 50, shot in the back outside a Midtown Hilton in December 2024.
What makes the plea unusual is what it isn't: a deal. The U.S. Attorney's office confirmed there was no agreement, no accommodations, no concessions — what practitioners call an open plea, guilty to every pending count in the indictment with sentencing left entirely to the judge. Prosecutors remain free to seek the maximum: life in prison. Federal sentencing guidelines suggest something in the range of 24 to 30 years; Judge Margaret Garnett will decide at sentencing on December 18, 2026.
Defendants almost never plead open in a case this size. When they do, it's usually strategy aimed somewhere else — and here, everyone in the courtroom knew where.
What he admitted
The factual account Mangione gave under oath matches the case the government spent a year and a half assembling:
- He tracked Thompson's movements and located him by posing as an investor attending the company's New York conference.
- He 3-D printed the gun — and the silencer — used in the shooting.
- He described the path that led there: "years of enduring severe pain from a broken back" and grinding through the health-insurance system.
The admissions are now sworn testimony, on the record, in his own voice — a fact that matters enormously for what comes next.
Why the death penalty was already gone
The plea resolves a federal case that had already lost its sharpest edge. The Justice Department under then-Attorney General Pam Bondi had announced it would seek capital punishment, calling the shooting "a premeditated, cold-blooded assassination." But in January 2026, the federal judge ruled out the death penalty. New York state has never had one available for this case. From that point on, the worst outcome anywhere on the board was life — which reframes Friday's open plea: he conceded a case whose ceiling was already fixed.
The real fight: September 8
Mangione's New York state murder-and-terrorism trial is still on the calendar for September 8, 2026 — three weeks away — and the federal plea is now the centerpiece of the fight over whether it happens.
His lawyers have filed a double-jeopardy motion to dismiss the state charges, arguing he has now been convicted for the conduct at the heart of the state's case. The Manhattan District Attorney's office is not blinking: it says it is "prepared to litigate the defense motions." As a general rule, the dual-sovereignty doctrine lets state and federal governments prosecute the same conduct separately — but the defense will argue New York's specific double-jeopardy statute is broader than the constitutional floor. That ruling, not the plea, is the next hinge in this case.
The court has already settled how the trial will look if it proceeds: no livestream, an overflow room for press, and an anonymous jury — the ground rules we covered in our full Mangione case file.
Why this case file matters
A defendant who admits the killing in federal court while contesting it in state court, three weeks before trial, is close to unprecedented in a case with this much attention. If the double-jeopardy motion fails, Manhattan will seat an anonymous jury to try a man whose sworn confession is already public. If it succeeds, a December sentencing hearing becomes the only remaining act. Either way, the strategic gamble of August 14 — concede everything, purchase nothing — will be studied in law schools for years.
For every date in this case — the September 8 state trial, the December 18 federal sentencing — alongside the rest of the year's major hearings, keep our court dates tracker bookmarked.
Case status as of this writing: Mangione pleaded guilty to both federal counts on August 14, 2026, and awaits federal sentencing December 18, 2026. He has pleaded not guilty in the New York state case and is presumed innocent of those charges unless and until proven guilty; the state trial remains scheduled for September 8, 2026, with defense motions pending. This article is based on court proceedings and contemporaneous reporting. Photo: illustration of the Manhattan federal courthouse — not a news photograph.
Reported to our editorial standards: records first, charges reported as charges, corrections welcomed.
Frequently asked questions
Did Luigi Mangione plead guilty?+
Yes — in the federal case. On August 14, 2026, Mangione pleaded guilty in Manhattan federal court to two counts of interstate stalking resulting in death for the December 2024 killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson. It was an open plea: no plea agreement, no concessions from prosecutors. His New York state murder case is separate, and he has not pleaded guilty there.
Did Mangione get a plea deal?+
No. Prosecutors confirmed there was no agreement — he pleaded guilty to all pending federal counts with nothing promised in return. That means there is no agreed sentencing range: the judge can impose anything up to the maximum, which is life in prison. Federal guidelines suggest roughly 24 to 30 years.
When is Luigi Mangione's federal sentencing?+
December 18, 2026, before Judge Margaret Garnett in the Southern District of New York. Each of the two stalking-resulting-in-death counts carries a possible life sentence.
Is the death penalty still possible for Mangione?+
Not in the federal case. Although the Justice Department initially announced it would seek capital punishment, the federal judge ruled out the death penalty in January 2026. New York state has no death penalty, so the maximum exposure remaining anywhere is life in prison.
Does Mangione still face the New York state murder trial?+
As of this writing, yes. The state murder-and-terrorism trial is still scheduled to begin September 8, 2026. His lawyers have filed a double-jeopardy motion arguing the state charges should be dropped after the federal plea; the Manhattan District Attorney's office says it is prepared to litigate the defense motions. He is presumed innocent of the state charges unless and until proven guilty.
Stay On The Case
Get the next case file first
One email when a new case drops — footage, records, and the full breakdown.
Subscribe on YouTubeRelated case files
Non-Negotiated Guilty Pleas: Why a Defendant Pleads Guilty With No Deal
No plea bargain, no agreed sentence — just guilty, to everything. Why defendants enter open or 'blind' pleas, what happens at the hearing, and what it means for sentencing.
Trials & VerdictsVERDICT: GUILTYColt Gray Pleaded Guilty to All 55 Counts — With No Deal. The Sentence: Life Without Parole
The Apalachee High School shooter pleaded guilty to all 55 counts with no deal from prosecutors, and on July 28 a judge sentenced him to life without parole. What a non-negotiated plea means, how the sentencing unfolded, and what happens to his father.
Trials & VerdictsON TRIALLuigi Mangione's Two Trials: Why One Killing Gets a State Case and a Federal Case
A state murder trial in September — and a federal case that just ended in a surprise guilty plea. How one Manhattan killing became two prosecutions, and what the August 14 plea changes.